Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) provide annual funding to states, cities, and counties to support housing and expand economic opportunities in communities. CDBG grants must benefit low- and moderate- income people, aid in the prevention or elimination of slums or blight, and meet a need having particular urgency (urgent need). Eligible activities under CDBG include:
- Housing, including housing ownership assistance, housing services, housing rehabilitation, lead-based paint abatement, home ownership assistance, and construction of housing.
- Public facilities, including infrastructure, special needs facilities, and/or community facilities.
- Activities related to economic development
- Activities related to public services, including fair housing counseling, job training, crime prevention, childcare, and health care and substance use services.
- Support for Community-based Development Organizations that work on neighborhood revitalization, community economic development, and/or energy conservation.